Thursday, December 1, 2016

It is all English, Right?!?!?

Taryn always comes home and says something that I'm very confused by.  She kept saying that she is learning a new hand writing style then would kind of mumble what it was called.  I called it cursive and she just made a face at me like I was the crazy one.  I could never quite understand her.  So I just kind of nodded and said keep practicing!

We met some of our London friends in Barcelona for brunch one morning.  Taryn wrote a sweet note to her friend.  Her friend's dad picks up the note and says, "Good job, Taryn, on your joined up handwriting."  Wait, wait...I realized that he called this handwriting the appropriate name.  It still feels like a mouth full to me and takes to long and prefer cursive.

Speaking of words, I prefer.  As the kids and I were walking to school the other morning, we were comparing what things are called in London versus San Antonio.  The kids unanimously voted for the British word while I still think some of the American words make more sense.

Pavement = Sidewalk
Bin = Trash Can
Rubbish = Trash
Courgette = Squash
Aubergine = Eggplant
Trainers = Tennis Shoes
Trousers = Pants
Pants = Underwear
Rubber = Eraser
Boot = Trunk
lorry = truck
Felt Tip Pens = Markers
lady bird = ladybug
till = cash register
trolley = grocery cart
toilet/lou = bathroom/restroom

It was a hilarious conversation!  Taryn wants to have a British accent so bad!  She fakes an accent and sounds Australian which is too funny.  Sebastian has the strongest British accent with all of the extra focus on his speech.  Jillian is developing her vocabulary and is the most consistent with using the British word.

These moments and walking to and from school are so special.  I will treasure this time with the kids forever and I am so thankful for it.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages