Monday, July 24, 2017

Mom and Dad Visit for Christmas!

This post is really hard to write.  I think I took a little break from blogging because I've been dreading this post.  I don't even know how to explain the emotions of Christmas.  I have been writing this blog post on and off for 6 months. It was good, fun, frustrating, scary, and sad.  On little side note, I think, we were all so worried about Mom that we don't have lots of pictures from the week or the pictures we do have aren't the best in quality.  I am going to share a few that we have throughout the blog.

We had been planning for months what we would do when Mom and Dad came to visit for Christmas.  Of course, it took Dad forever to actually commit to coming and I think the only way he got a passport was Jacklyn dragging him to the post office.  He was the one everyone was so concerned about and how he would handle international travel.   We had planned and planned this trip.  We were going to do sightseeing, enjoy some of the Christmas events, give them plenty of time with the kids, and enjoy being together for Christmas.  We were even going to have people over and have a big Christmas dinner.  Mom and I had planned what we were going to cook and how we were going to get it all done with my tiny oven.  We were so excited and ready for them to spend Christmas in London!

All the plans quickly changed.  Mom had said she didn't feel good before coming but she thought it was just an upset stomach and it would pass.  We took them to eat Thai food at our favorite pub and then we walked around Chiswick for a bit.  The kids showed Pops their schools and where all their friends lived.  We got home and mom was exhausted.

We went to a Christmas Carol sing along at Royal Albert Hall.  It is our favorite Christmas event in London.  Mom seemed to be doing much better and really enjoyed herself.  She even sipped champagne with me.  I think we were all hopeful that this was the turn and she would start to feel better.  The bad news is that Mom was so exhausted that she ended up in bed the whole next day.  We went to Kew Gardens that night to go see the lights.  It is a magical but you have to walk a long path and again it wore mom out.  She was so tired.  We were all getting more and more concerned.  We didn't know what to do or how to help her.


Christmas Tree picture at Royal Albert Hall.


Arriving at Royal Albert Hall.

Sebastian sat with Nana while we sang Christmas Carols


One of the exhibits at Kew Gardens.


The next day was the start of the end.  The few little incidents had us concerned but not thinking that something is really wrong.  The next day we were doing a Changing of the Guard tour and it was LOTS and LOTS of walking.  There are also tons of people around for the Changing of the Guards.  We had tried to reason with mom that she would probably be better not going but she refused to listen.  She got herself up and ready then we headed out.  She made it trough about 90% of the tour and then she fell.  She got dizzy and had to just sit on the ground for a while.  She was done and feeling really sick.

Changing of the Guards

We had jam packed the itinerary and at this point, Mom had probably been able to complete a fourth of the activities.  The next day, we all went to the Tower of London to see the crown jewels.  I love the Tower of London.  There is so much to experience here and every time I go there is something else that I find to explore.  And of course there is the beautiful bridge.  Mom stayed home and rested which was perfect since we were going out to eat that evening.  We were hoping a night out would help improve Mom's spirit.  We went to eat at Duck and Waffle.  The food is fantastic, the drinks are spectacular, and we love the view.  We were halfway through dinner when Mom started vomiting.  This was when the panic finally set in that something is majorly wrong with Mom.  She hasn't eaten, she has nothing in her, what in the world is she vomiting.  I remember standing outside the bathroom with Mom and I just said with tears in my eyes, "You are going home with Dad and you are going to go get help.  Something is wrong and you need help."  She didn't argue at all which told me that she has finally realized that something is wrong.

Tower of London

Tower of London

We cancelled the rest of the activities.  We showed Dad around Chiswick, introduced him to Gail's, played with the kids, and changed Mom's plane ticket so that she was going home with Dad.  (A funny side note, I think my dad will come back to visit us in London because he loves Gail's that much.  It has nothing to do with us and everything to do with the pastries there.)  I remember riding in the cab with Mom and Dad, begging Mom to quit fighting Dad and just make it home.

As I said goodbye to Mom and Dad at the airport, I remember hugging my mom tightly and telling her to go get help that we all need her.  As I watched them walk through security, I sat there and cried.  I honestly thought that might've been the last time I would see my mom.  By the grace of God, she made it home and got to the hospital just in time to be operated on.  If you've read my other blog posts, then you know that she had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor and she is doing remarkably well.  God knew that we needed her and that her purpose on earth wasn't complete.  She makes the world a better place and definitely a more organized place.  She tells us all what to do and showers her love on us.  I am so thankful and blessed that I have my mom on earth with us.  I don't want to take any moment with her for granted and I cherish every moment we have together.

I am hoping that now that I have finally finished this post and have cried through it for 6 months that I'll be ready to blog again.  I am sorry for taking such a long break but I knew that I needed to write this before I can move on.  Thank you for being patient with me as I get back to blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages